Sunday, July 27, 2008

General Electric


The view from the stairwell landing looking out our north windows just before 1:00 a.m. The second image was taken 2 minutes later.

3 comments:

sharon said...

Oops.. I have to figure out this posting/editing thing! Anyhow, what I said earlier was: Very cool! I'm impressed with your dedication to set up a tripod at 1 am. (The storm was loud enough to wake me up, but I have to admit I was thinking about sleeping and not photography!) Looks like your efforts were worth it. Any Photoshopping, or is this SOOC (straight out of camera)?

The Andrew Family said...

Fantastic! You finally got some lightning! Really great shots. We have your SLC Temple for our wallpaper.

Jeff Grandon said...

I'm coming off of Mountain time so it didn't feel that late.

I darkened with Curves in Photoshop to clearly show the bolts. The purple color is what was left over.

There was a lot of lightning above the clouds causing the entire sky to flash. Any bright sky bursts beyond the distinct bolts added more white to the sky over the course of these 30 second exposures. But unless you go for long exposures, the camera may miss something extraordinary. So knowing I could fix it later in Photoshop, I went for the long exposure.