Sunday, July 11, 2010

Back From Summer Camp

I've been away all week with Malcolm at Scout Camp Wakpominee. We had 23 boys this year — it was a challenge all week to make sure everyone was in the right class at the right hour and had all the proper merit badge paperwork.

Despite temperatures in the middle 90s, biting deer flies during the day, mosquitoes buzzing in our ears all night, and drenching rain the entire final night we had a pretty good time. I certainly felt a sense of accomplishment after making it through the week.

I helped a lot of boys get through their advancements, sang silly songs after each meal, taught a Photography badge in camp in the evening, convinced a homesick boy to not to go home, went swimming every day, got some fresh air and exercise, and tossed a lot of Frisbees. Definitely worth the inconveniences.

The boys worked hard and we had a satisfying stack of completed merit badge cards on Saturday morning. Malcolm earned merit badges in Rifle Shooting, Small Boat Sailing, Basketry, and Leatherwork.

Being away for 5 nights I came to appreciate a lot of things after getting home: flat ground without protruding boulders to trip over, how it feels to lie on a bed, air conditioning, soft carpeting.

No comments: