Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Come A Little Closer

I've been debating my next lens. I've been reading a book about close-up photography and as a result was leaning towards a $900 Nikon macro lens — kind of pricey.

Earlier this week I visited the medical photographer at the hospital where I work and it turns out she's got an older version of this lens and she let me try it out. Of course it was great. But then she pulled out some extension tubes — hollow cylinders you stack between your camera and lens to increase magnifying power and reduce the minimum focusing distance.

The $100 tubes worked so well that I ordered some and they came today. I tried them out tonight and they're perfect! I have already forgotten my lust for new glass. It pays to be cheap.

Joanie's parents are coming down from Canada tomorrow for a visit, hence the choice of my first macro subject. Did you know the Canadian penny is not round, but 12-sided? Take a closer look.

When the weather gets nicer I'll be outside looking for some bugs to "blow up."

1 comment:

Julia J Grandon said...

that's so cool! I'm going to drag out my 35mm!