




I didn't know this sculpture was called Cloud Gate, but I knew it was in Chicago and that I've wanted to see it for a long time. We passed right by on the shuttle ride from the airport, so I knew exactly where to go. It's stainless steel, and the one minor disappointment is the trails of dirt (bird poop?) that have run down from the top after a rain. I could have done some good with a roll of paper towels and some Windex (well, me and another dozen people, it's pretty gigantic). But don't let that minor point distract, it's a really fabulous piece.
Most people end up underneath it — called the omphalos — and it's so large there's room to admit everyone who wants to get in. The reflections underneath in the convex area get very complex. Even now I have a hard time picking myself out in that last picture.
I love public art installations, and most people see them passing by accidentally. This one is worth going to see on purpose. It's fantastic.
2 comments:
These are awesome pictures! The fish eye lens makes that sculpture and it's reflections look even cooler. I've seen pictures of this sculpture before and I hope to see it someday in person. Amazing!
Awesome! Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment