Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Planes, Trains & Automobiles

I'm traveling just about every day this week. Monday I flew down to Washington DC from Albany. Tuesday I met up with others from work at Union Station in DC and took the train to Philadelphia for a couple days of meetings. Today is Wednesday and I'm on the train headed back into DC for a couple more days of work before heading back to New York on Friday afternoon.

This is maybe my second or third trip by regional train and I really enjoy it. It's like being in a plane except there's a lot more room, you get electricity, Internet, phone reception, and there's a lot to see going by out the much larger windows. There's a bit more rocking back and forth than in a plane, but not the kind of bumps that make you want to lose your lunch, or worry you're going to fall out of the sky. The sound of a train is like all the railway crossings you've ever sat at — familiar and good.

We just went over some water as the sun was setting, rimming out the clouds and glowing ice crystals above the sun's disk in brilliant orange. I grabbed my camera quickly to get a shot out the window, and got it out just in time to get a gorgeous shot of the sky reflecting over the water. I kept mashing the shutter but nothing happened: my memory card was in the computer. Bummer, I hate missing scenes like that.

2 comments:

Adam Petty said...

I would rather have the camera not take the picture then to have me think it was saving it. After the first time I did that I turned off shooting without a card.

Adam Petty said...

Too bad you missed the shot though. It was nice meeting you guys. Maybe in Feb we can take some time and go shooting something :) I'll bring my camera