Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Mr. Data Disappears


Two years ago I felt like I was getting fat, so as an experiment I started recording my weight in a spreadsheet to see what would happen. I had nothing else to do, so why not?

Once I started tracking things I saw my behavior change. I started paying attention to what I ate and how much; I started to drink only water and skim milk; I started playing Ultimate Frisbee on the weekends; for my New Year's resolution in 2011 I've taken the stairs to my office on the 6th floor every day.

Today I hit minus 30 pounds. I'm 2 pounds away from what I weighed in college. I'm no longer in the "one danish away from obese" category on the tall BMI. I now dress exclusively in clown pants.

Watch Amazon for my upcoming book, "The Microsoft Excel Diet." And if anyone has a bank job that requires somebody slipping through a ventilation shaft, I'm your man.

2 comments:

Lauren said...

I read an interesting article about how feedback loops (IE: seeing progress and results) can help people to achieve goals. I think I read it in Scientific American. It was pretty cool!

Shauna said...

That's so great! If Levi ever gets fattish, he will be ideally suited to this Get Skinny With Excel protocol. Genius.