Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Analyze This

Is there a statistician in the house?

Around the beginning of June I installed Google Analytics on my blog, it’s a free website traffic monitor. There’s been a lot of talk about it amongst the federal web manager community (my day job), so here was a chance to test it out. Plus now I could verify I truly did have three humble readers.

Before I tell you what results I got, here are some techie provisos about how I've set up the Grandon Fan Club that affect this count —
  • I have told search engines not to catalog my blog ... I basically want my audience to be people I know. A few friends and family have my blog linked, but otherwise, visits come from people I know.
  • These numbers only cover traffic to the Blogspot website. RSS syndicates all my posts as Facebook wall content, but actual blog visits are only tracked if readers jump from Facebook to the original blog entry. Facebook gives me additional eyeballs beyond what is counted here.
These kind of numbers are always subject to interpretation, but here are some interesting things I found out —
  1. Since June there have been 174 people (or 174 different computers) visit the site 1,500 times. For a commercial website this is peanuts, but based on my ground rules above, this was a Wow!
  2. 75% of traffic comes from linkage through my Facebook wall. 25% comes from people going directly to grandonfanclub.blogger.com.
  3. My best day so far was 35 visits on 9/9/2010. There were two posts on this day last week, one called Claire Turns 4 Today, the other on Which DSLR should I Buy? My theory is the kids are the bigger draw here. Meanwhile, in the back of my head this lets me secretly rationalize my camera fixation. (I may combine these topics again to see if my web traffic can push me into buying that new lens after all.)
Hooray for Google Analytics!

Now if they (Google, the multibillion dollar search company that owns Blogger) could just make the search engine on my blog work.

1 comment:

April said...

This looks fun! Question, I am trying to set one up for my account and I don't get where I am supposed to copy and paste the html code they gave me. Where do I put it? Do I have to add it for every post?