Monday, September 06, 2010

The Best Stuff 5: Wedding Ring (1991)

Joanie and I got engaged in 1991 when we were in college. We did a lot of ring shopping and finally found what she liked, a cathedral setting.

The ring was going to be ready to pick up on April 13, but I had other plans up my sleeve — I got off work early, plunked down the last gigantic payment and got it a day early on April 12, my birthday.

That evening Joanie made me a nice birthday dinner and then I surprised her with the ring. She got very excited and ran off to show all her friends. Leaving me sitting there alone for the rest of my birthday (I may be exaggerating).

Before Joanie and I started getting serious, I had other plans for the ring down payment. Apple had just released their first reasonably-priced basic computer, the Macintosh Classic: $1,000 for an 8 MHz machine with 1 MB RAM, an unprecedented value. I had been saving up this wad so I wouldn’t have to spend any more time in the computer labs at school. The joke was, ‘Yep, there’s all your computer money there on my finger.’

We eventually got the computer after we got married that summer. The wait was worth it.

Out of everything I’ve ever spent money on, this ring has been my best purchase of all time.

No comments: