Thursday, September 09, 2010

Buying a Used Digital SLR (Part 3)

Part 3 in my series to cover questions people ask me about getting a DSLR. Part 1 talked about advantages of DSLRs; Part 2 covered entry-level Nikons you should consider.

I heart used
A lot of people buy more camera than they can handle, use it a couple of times, then sell on Craigslist. I no longer buy new, because the used deals can be so good.

My current Nikon D300 came from a journalism student at SUNY Albany; my best lens came from a retiring wedding photographer: both sweet Craigslist deals. (I met Craig Newmark in 2009 and thanked him profusely for inventing Craigslist.)

You probably won’t miss a new DSLR’s one-year warranty — they’re pretty solid — but it is a factor to consider.

If you’re cheap like me, and willing to do a little research on the Internet, read on.

Good used Nikons
The Nikon D40 is where I started, and I still love and use mine. You’ll find the D40 and its replacement, the analogous D3000, with lens for $300-400 used.

You might also find the D40x, D60, D5000 used — these are each 1-2 steps better than the most basic D40/D3000, and may not cost much more used. Go to KenRockwell.com to learn the differences.

If you think you'll get into photography more, look around for a used midrange D90, which can be as cheap as $500 used — an amazing deal.

Older models are the D50 or D80, which are also solid, but have smaller LCD screens. Same with the pro D200, used for around $700. See if the limitations will work for you and make a low-ball offer.

Is it a good deal?
Establish an eBay account, not to buy, but to search completed sales to find out going prices. For a seller, the commission + shipping on eBay can be around 10% of the final bid; in my mind, the price on gear placed for free on Craigslist ought to be cheaper.

Always ask if your seller would entertain a lower offer. They might say no, but they also might say yes. I like to get a sense for this before the meet-up — if you wait to ask until the meet-up, and they’re not willing to negotiate, you’re seen as a time-waster.

I have the owner make out a bill of sale to me with the date, equipment, serial number and contact information. Just in case.

Buying refurbished
I’ve never done it myself, but if it’s been checked out by the manufacturer, and comes with a warranty, and the price isn't “too good to be true,” it’s probably safe.

Part 4: Inspecting a Used Digital SLR

No comments: